If you own a website, you’ve probably heard of search engine optimization and marketing by now. If not, it is the practice of optimizing the content on your website and improving your search result ranking. This can greatly improve the amount of visitors to your website. Follow these steps to help you get started generating more traffic:
1. Account – Setting up your primary account with Google is free. Your primary account is what all of your tools and settings will be linked to. This makes it easy to quickly switch from one tool to another without logging in to every tool one-by-one.
2. Webmaster Tools – This is where it all begins. Signing in to Webmasters Tools allows you to add your website to be crawled by Google. Once your website is verified through various methods, it will begin to be crawled regularly. Verification can be through a variety of means including HTML file upload to your website server.
3. Sitemap Submission – In the Webmasters Tools, you can submit your sitemap for more efficient indexing of your website. If you don’t have a sitemap yet, there are plenty of websites on the Internet that can help you such as XML-sitemaps.com, although you will have to make a new one periodically to keep the information current for Google.
4. Analytics – Google Analytics will provide you with a vast array of information about who visits your site, when it was visited, what page they visited, and demographics about the visitors machine and location. This can go a long way to determining optimized content related to what is popular. Analytics includes referral information as well including where the visitor came from to access your website: ie. YouTube, Google, eBay, and others.
5. Adsense – As you develop your website, might as well monetize it. With Google Adsense, you are able to show advertisements on your website related to your content. Each time a visitor clicks on one of those links, you get paid a varying amount depending on the ad’s worth determined by the advertiser.
6. Adwords – Ready to start advertising your website? Google Adwords is a Pay-Per-Click advertising platform that allows you to place ads on search results and websites. Those ads that you just added to your website with Adsense came from here. Keyword and phrasing are very important in developing Adwords ads and you may want to research on the best methods before putting money into it.
7. Apps for Business – For continued success, Google Apps for Business is a great set of professional tools that can keep yourself or your organization connected. Everything you could need to promote and market your website is within the Apps for Business.
Google is loaded with reports and tools covering a wide range of aspects for your website. By learning these tools and reports, you can begin to develop a website that generates optimum traffic for the content provided. As most of these tools are free, you have very little to lose, and so much to gain.
About Contributor: Ken Myers is the founder & contributor for http://www.longhornleads.com/. He frequently researches and writes about a variety of topics like education, Technology, Health and many more. He welcomes your comments.